Your ultimate guide to maintaining a top-notch performance of your Keurig Slim with regular descaling.
We all love our morning cup of joe. It’s an absolute game changer, and if you’re anything like me, it’s the first thing you reach for after the alarm rings. But have you ever thought about the hero behind the scenes? Yes, I’m talking about your trusty Keurig Slim.
Your Keurig Slim is a state-of-the-art piece of technology that helps you brew the perfect cup of coffee every single time. But it’s also a device that needs some tender loving care to continue performing at its peak.
The prime suspect that can dampen the performance of your Keurig Slim is scale or calcium deposits. But don’t fret! I’m here to help you master the art of descaling your Keurig Slim. It’s a straightforward process that should be carried out every three months or more often if your water has high mineral content.
Why You Need to Descale Your Keurig Slim
First things first, let’s dive into why descaling your Keurig Slim is so important. Scale or calcium deposits are non-toxic but can hinder the performance of your brewer if not addressed. Regular descaling helps maintain the heating element and other internal parts that come in contact with water.
Regular descaling ensures:
- Optimum temperature of your coffee
- Consistent coffee volume
- Longer lifespan of your brewer
Tools of the Trade
Before we dive into the descaling process, here’s what you’ll need:
- A large ceramic mug (Avoid using a paper cup)
- Fresh water
- Keurig® Descaling Solution
- Access to a sink
- Time – approximately 15-20 minutes
The Descaling Procedure: Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Descaling Solution Rinse
- Pour the entire bottle of Keurig® Descale Solution into an emptied water reservoir.
- Fill the empty bottle with water and pour it into the water reservoir.
- Make sure there is no K-Cup® pod in the pod holder.
- Place a large mug on the drip tray.
- Begin with the brewer powered off, then press and hold the 8oz and 12oz buttons together for 3 seconds until the DESCALE light turns solid.
- When the brew button begins flashing, press it to start the cleansing rinse brew.
- Pour the hot liquid into the sink.
- Repeat the cleansing rinse process until the ADD WATER light illuminates.
Step 2: Rest & Rinse
- Empty the water reservoir.
- Refill it to the MAX fill line with fresh water.
Step 3: Fresh Water Rinse
- Press the brew button once it begins flashing.
- Repeat this process until the ADD WATER light illuminates.
And voila! Your brewer is now descaled and ready for use.
When Descaling Gets Tricky
Sometimes, if your Keurig Slim is heavily scaled, you may notice a “foam” dispensed from the brewer or a small/no output dispensed. If this occurs, don’t panic. Here’s what you need to do:
- Turn off and unplug the brewer.
- If there’s Keurig® Descaling Solution in the water reservoir, discard it, rinse the reservoir thoroughly, and refill it with water.
- Plug the brewer back in, power it on, and repeat Step 3 of the Fresh Water Rinse cycle.
A Natural Alternative
How to Descale Keurig Slim with Vinegar
If you’re keen on a natural descaling solution, you can use vinegar. Here’s how you can descale your Keurig Slim using vinegar:
- Empty the water reservoir.
- Fill a large mug with vinegar and pour it into the water reservoir.
- Fill the mug with water and pour it into the water reservoir for a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water.
- Make sure there isn’t a K-Cup in the unit.
- Put a large mug under the brewer.
- With the power off, press and hold the 8oz and 12oz buttons down for a few seconds until ‘descale’ lights up.
- Press the Brew button to start the cleaning cycle.
- When the unit stops, pour out the mug and replace it.
- Press the Brew button again and keep repeating until ‘Add Water’ lights up.
- Pour out the mug and rinse the water reservoir thoroughly.
- Fill the water reservoir to the max fill line with fresh water.
- Press the Brew button and keep filling the mug until ‘Add Water’ lights up or the unit stops brewing.
By following these simple steps, your Keurig Slim should exit the descale mode and be ready for use.
A Few Extra Tips
Now that you’ve mastered the art of descaling, here are a few extra tips to help you maintain your Keurig Slim:
- Use bottled or filtered water: This can reduce the frequency of descaling required as it contains fewer minerals compared to tap water.
- Clean the exterior regularly: Keep your Keurig looking shiny and new by cleaning the outside with a soft cloth.
- Clean the K-Cup holder: Remove and rinse the K-Cup holder once a week to prevent coffee grounds from clogging it.
Descaling your Keurig Slim is not just about keeping your machine running smoothly. It’s also about ensuring that your coffee tastes as fresh and delicious as possible. So, take a few moments every three months to show your Keurig some love. You’ll be rewarded with an ever-reliable coffee maker that delivers the perfect brew every single time.
Remember, a clean Keurig is a happy Keurig. And a happy Keurig makes for an even happier coffee drinker. Happy brewing!