Objectives of performance counselling are as follows:
- To help subordinates in realising Ms potential as a manager or a leader, etc.
- To help subordinates in understanding himself – Ms strengths and Ms weaknesses.
- To provide subordinates an opportunity to acquire more insight into Ms behaviour and analyse the dynamics of such behaviour.
- To help in having better understanding of the environment.
- To increase subordinate’s personal and inter-personal effectiveness by giving him feedback about his behaviour and assisting him in analysing Ms inter-personal competence.
- To encourage subordinates in setting goals for further improvement.
- To assist in generating alternatives and a final action plan for dealing with various problems.
- To create an empathic atmosphere to share and discuss Ms tensions, conflicts, concerns and problems.
- To help subordinates in reviewing in a non-threatening way his progress in achieving various objectives.