- The Edit > Copy Format and Edit>Paste Format commands from the menu
- The Copy and Apply Formatting dialog bo, x located under the Format > Copy and Apply menu
- There is no way to copy and apply formatting in Excel-You have to do it manually
- The Format Painter button on the standard toolbar
In Microsoft Excel, the Format Painter is a handy tool that allows you to quickly copy formatting from one area in a worksheet and apply it to another area. This feature helps save time and ensures consistency in the appearance of your worksheet. The Format Painter button is located on the standard toolbar in the Home tab on the Ribbon.
How to Use the Format Painter
To use the Format Painter in Excel, follow these steps:
- Select the cell or range of cells that have the formatting you want to copy. The formatting can include font style, size, color, borders, number formatting, cell shading, and more.
- Go to the Home tab on the Ribbon.
- In the Clipboard group, click on the Format Painter button. The cursor will change to a paintbrush icon, indicating that the Format Painter is active.
- Click on the target cell or drag across the range of cells where you want to apply the copied formatting. The formatting from the source cell(s) will be applied to the target cell(s).
- The Format Painter will automatically deactivate after you have applied the formatting to the target cell(s). If you want to apply the same formatting to multiple non-adjacent cells or ranges, double-click on the Format Painter button in step 3. This will keep the Format Painter active until you press the Esc key or click the Format Painter button again to deactivate it.
Format Painter Shortcuts
In addition to using the Format Painter button on the Ribbon, you can also activate the Format Painter using keyboard shortcuts. The default keyboard shortcut for the Format Painter is Ctrl + Shift + C to copy the formatting and Ctrl + Shift + V to apply the formatting. Here’s how to use the keyboard shortcuts:
- Select the cell or range of cells that have the formatting you want to copy.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + C to copy the formatting.
- Select the target cell or range of cells where you want to apply the copied formatting.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + V to apply the formatting.
Format Painter Tips
- The Format Painter can be used to copy formatting not only within a single worksheet but also between different worksheets within the same workbook or even between different workbooks.
- You can use Format Painter to copy formatting from a single cell to a range of cells, from a range of cells to a single cell, or from one range of cells to another range of cells.
- The Format Painter is also available in other Microsoft Office applications, such as Word and PowerPoint, and it works similarly across all applications.