Canteens [Section 16]
1). The Appropriate Government may make rules requiring that in every establishment:
- To which this Act applies,
- Wherein work requiring the employment of contract labour is likely to continue for such period as may be prescribed and
- Wherein contract labour numbering one hundred or more is ordinarily employed by a contractor, one or more canteens shall be provided and maintained by the contractor for the use of such contract labour.
2). Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for:
- The date by which the canteens shall be provided;
- The number of canteens that shall be provided and the standards in respect of construction, accommodation, furniture and other equipment of the canteens; and
- The foodstuffs which may be served therein and the charges which may be made, therefore.
Rest-Rooms [Section 17]
1). In every place wherein contract labour is required to halt at night in connection with the work of an establishment:
- To which this Act applies, and
- In which work requiring employment of contract labour is likely to continue for such period as may be prescribed, there shall be provided and maintained by the contractor for the use of the contract labour such number of rest-rooms or such other suitable alternative accommodation within such time as may be prescribed.
2). The restrooms or the alternative accommodation to be provided under sub-section (1) shall be sufficiently lighted and ventilated and shall be maintained in a clean and comfortable condition.
Other Facilities [Section 18]
It shall be the duty of every contractor employing contract labour in connection with the work of an establishment to which this Act applies to provide and maintain:
1). A sufficient supply of wholesome drinking water for the contract labour at convenient places;
2). A sufficient number of latrines and urinals of the prescribed types so situated as to be convenient and accessible to the contract labour in the establishment; and
3). Washing facilities.
First-Aid Facilities [Section 19]
There shall be provided and maintained by the contractor so as to be readily accessible during all working hours a first-aid box equipped with the prescribed contents at every place where contract labour is employed by him.
Liability of Principal Employer in Certain Cases [Section 20]
1). If any amenity required to be provided under Section 16, Section 17, Section 18, or Section 19 for the benefit of the contract labour employed in an establishment is not provided by the contractor within the time prescribed therefore such amenity shall be provided by the principal employer within such time as may be prescribed.
2). All expenses incurred by the principal employer in providing the amenity may be recovered by the principal employer from the contractor either by deduction from any amount payable to the contractor under any contract or as a debt payable by the contractor.
Responsibility for Payment of Wages [Section 21]
1). A contractor shall be responsible for payment of wages to each worker employed by him as contract labour and such wages shall be paid before the expiry of such period as may be prescribed.
2). Every principal employer shall nominate a representative duly authorized by him to be present at the time of disbursement of wages by the contractor and it shall be the duty of such representative to certify the amounts paid as wages in such manner as may be prescribed.
3). It shall be the duty of the contractor to ensure the disbursement of wages in the presence of the authorised representative of the principal employer.
4). In case the contractor fails to make payment of wages within the prescribed period or makes short payment, then the principal employer shall be liable to make payment of wages in full or the unpaid balance due, as the case may be, to the contract labour employed by the contractor and recover the amount so paid from the contractor either by deduction from any amount payable to the contractor under any contract or as a debt payable by the contractor.